SMART Transportation Division President Jeremy Ferguson released the following statement on July 22, 2022, regarding the commencement of the Presidential Emergency Board:
Brothers and Sisters —
At 2:30 p.m. Sunday, July 24, 2022, Presidential Emergency Board 250 will convene in Washington, D.C. and proceed through Friday, July 29th, as the next step in the Railway Labor Act process.
We anticipate a fair and thorough series of hearings before the board, which consists of three qualified members. SMART-TD and the other rail labor organizations are prepared to present our best case to get a contract workers can be proud of after serving the nation through a pandemic and a supply-chain crisis. Carriers have enjoyed record and increasing profits through the hard work of unionized labor. This PEB gives us an opportunity to show the evidence that our toil should be rewarded.
Out of mutual respect for the process taking place, there will be no updates on the hearings, which will consist of daily sessions lasting anywhere from 10 to 12 hours, from either labor or the carriers once they begin. Until labor and the carriers have made their cases, SMART-TD will respect the authority of the PEB and comments will be reserved until after the PEB has released its recommendations.
That being said, the continued outreach and show of solidarity by not only SMART-TD members, but all of rail labor continues to fuel and motivate labor leaders through this arduous process. The silence need not extend to you. Any and all support is encouraged, seen and appreciated whether from rail workers, other branches of organized labor or from the public. Rail labor earlier this week received a letter of support from the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) in which President Willie Adams and Vice President Bobby Olvera Jr. pledged solidarity to our organizations. We thank them for voicing their support and express our highest gratitude to our ILWU brothers and sisters.
Let’s continue the momentum as we move ahead!
Jeremy R. Ferguson
President, SMART Transportation Division
- Call for Support: Kentucky Two-Person Crew Bill Gets Momentum
- Online fundraiser established for Local 1503 member’s survivors
- SMART-TD Oklahoma crew battle has begun — time to weigh in!
- C3RS: SMART-TD and Norfolk Southern agree to anonymous safety reporting
- Virginia 2PC bill heading to governor
- Sam Nasca, N.Y. SLD, passes away
- From the Ballast: Cowboy boots and hazmat suits
- NS, SMART-TD, BLET and FRA sign landmark C3RS safety agreement
- Online fundraiser established for family of deceased Local 210 member
- FRA issues safety bulletin on securing rolling stock