Darrell L. Roberts is now assistant to the general president at SMART. Previously, he served as the SMART director of organizing and spent nearly 14 years as the executive director of Helmets to Hardhats (H2H). He has served in the United States Navy as a hull technician and attained the rank of petty officer second class. He served in the Army National Guard as a staff sergeant. In March 2003, he was activated for a yearlong deployment to Kosovo, where he served as an infantry squad leader.
“I consider my position as assistant to the general president to be the latest in a long line of opportunities,” Roberts said. “I look forward to serving SMART members and their families in this new capacity.”
Darrell worked in the field for many years as a union sheet metal worker. He serves on the U.S. Department of Labor Advisory Committee on Veterans Employment, Training, and Employer Outreach (ACVETEO), as well as the Veterans Advisory Committee on Education (VACOE) for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. He is a lifetime member of the VFW and a member of the American Legion, as well as a board member of the American Chestnut Land Trust (ACLT). He holds a master’s degree in executive leadership from Georgetown University and a bachelor’s degree in business administration from the National Labor College. Darrell resides with his family in southern Maryland.
- NEMIC appoints Lisa Davis as administrator
- General Committee 2 Convention demonstrates democracy, solidarity
- Department of Labor updates prevailing wage regulations in win for SMART members and building trades workers
- SMART-TD, RME members secure paid sick leave for rail workers at Union Pacific
- Ray Reasons appointed 11th General Vice President
- Jason Benson continues sheet metal career as SMART director of organizing
- Joseph J. Nigro Award winners recognized for SMART Army solidarity
- SMOHIT expands mental health helpline service
- SMART Leadership Conference draws dozens of guest speakers to demonstrate: “This is our time”
- This is our time