Retired UTU General Chairperson Merlyn Hicks, 85, died Sept. 15 in Arkansas City, Kan.
A U.S. Marine Corps veteran of World War II, Hicks was employed by the former Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway (now part of BNSF) for almost 30 years before his election as secretary to Santa Fe General Committee of Adjustment 009 (Kansas City). He was elected general chairperson in 1980 and retired in 1991. Hicks also served as a delegate, representing UTU Local 464 (Arkansas City).
Hicks was preceded in death by his wife, Charline, and is survived by two children and numerous grandchildren.
- Your union needs your social media contributions
- TD members overwhelmingly vote to authorize strike action against SEPTA
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2024
- California High-Speed Rail Authority pledges to use unionized labor
- Recognizing our women railroaders
- Rail labor organizations urge Biden to renominate Bragg to RRB
- Bills’ advancement in Michigan a step forward for worker assault prevention
- Transportation labor groups urge DOT and NHTSA to launch industry-wide investigation of driverless vehicles
- Members: Please submit safety, tech and hours of service reports through website links
- SMART-TD BNSF members ratify tentative agreement addressing quality-of-life issues