To comply with federal law, those enrolled in the Railroad Employees National Health and Welfare Plan and the National Railway Carriers and United Transportation Union Health and Welfare Plan must provide Social Security numbers of dependents.
Failure to comply can result in loss of health care benefits for dependents.
Federal law now requires the reporting of Social Security numbers (SSNs) of covered dependents to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
In addition, if a covered dependent is eligible for Medicare, then the Medicare Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN) is also required to be reported.
In order to comply with these reporting requirements, Railroad Enrollment Services has mailed a final notice to those members identified with missing dependent SSNs and/or HICNs.
If you have received a notice from Railroad Enrollment Services, please provide the SSN and/or HICN for any dependent who is listed as missing this information.
Please be sure to sign, date and return the Social Security reporting form by the requested return date to the address provided.
According to the plans, the following will occur if the requested SSNs are NOT provided:
- For any dependent who was newly added to the plan between Jan. 1, 2009, and May 31, 2010: If we do not receive the Social Security number for any newly added 2009/2010 dependent whose SSN is missing by July 31, 2010, the dependent(s) will be disenrolled from the plan effective July 31, 2010.
- For any dependent who was added to the plan before Jan. 1, 2009: If we do not receive the Social Security number for any dependent whose SSN is missing by Jan. 31, 2011, the dependent(s) will be disenrolled from the plan effective Jan. 31, 2011.
NOTE: If you do not receive a notice requesting missing dependent SSNs and/or HICNs, then you do not need to take any action.
When Railroad Enrollment Services transmits the SSNs and/or HICNs to CMS, they will maintain all physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your personal information.
For additional information regarding the new CMS federal law pertaining to this requirement, visit http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MandatoryInsRep/
- N.Y. special election — a chance to support Tom Suozzi, who supports our members
- Room deadline extended for TD RTS in New Mexico!
- Suozzi deserves our support in New York
- Safety reminder: OSHA’s tips for working in cold weather
- DIPP: Members helping members
- TD National Training Seminar is ready for registrants!
- Safety, tech report links back online in SMART app
- Registration open for Albuquerque RTS
- SMART Transportation Division announces members of Bus and Transit Assault Prevention and Safety committee
- FTA announces random drug and alcohol testing rates for 2024