Jose F. “Joey” Garcia, local chairperson of Local 168 (Chicago, Ill.), passed away suddenly in December at his home in Chicago.
Brother Garcia, 46, actively participated in our union since his railroad career began in 2005. An Amtrak conductor, Brother Garcia served as a legislative representative, trustee, vice local chairperson and finally as local chairperson.
“Joey was a funny and loyal friend,” General Chairperson Rick Pauli of GO 769 said. “He was a great advocate for the members of SMART-TD Local 168 and will be truly missed.”
Along with supporting and representing our fellow union members, he was a loving father of two beautiful children he adored.
Along with representing his fellow union members, he was a loving father of two beautiful children he adored. Brother Garcia is survived by his children, father, three siblings and several family and friends who will miss him dearly.
“On behalf of all the men and women of Local 168, I extend deepest condolences to the family and friends of Brother Garcia,” said Nate Hatton, local chairperson of LCA-769.
Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.
- Your union needs your social media contributions
- TD members overwhelmingly vote to authorize strike action against SEPTA
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2024
- California High-Speed Rail Authority pledges to use unionized labor
- Recognizing our women railroaders
- Rail labor organizations urge Biden to renominate Bragg to RRB
- Bills’ advancement in Michigan a step forward for worker assault prevention
- Transportation labor groups urge DOT and NHTSA to launch industry-wide investigation of driverless vehicles
- Members: Please submit safety, tech and hours of service reports through website links
- SMART-TD BNSF members ratify tentative agreement addressing quality-of-life issues