By Bonnie Morr
Alternate Vice President, Bus
When operating a motor coach — whether carrying students, commuters, tourists or the handicapped – whenever we open the door, we are exposed to assaults.
We are vulnerable to what we do see, and what we cannot see, such as the sneezing, wheezing and coughing passengers spreading illness.
Many of us are versed in “talking down” aggressive and sometimes out-of-control passengers. The federal government and states are toughening penalties for violent acts against transportation workers, and many employers are taking additional steps to protect bus operators, such as by installing video cameras in terminals and on buses.
On page 11 of this issue, our union’s medical consultant, Dr. Norman Brown, explains how to protect ourselves against one dangerous micro-organism called MRSA.
A benefit of being a union member is that from the local level to the International, we have qualified officers and staff working each day to help improve workplace safety. For example, to the right of this column is an article and photo showing the success of the UTU in having notices posted in Coach USA buses in New Jersey warning of severe penalties for assaulting bus operators.
If you have ideas about further protecting the safety and health of bus operators, share them with your local officers, and also with Bus Department Vice President Vic Baffoni at the UTU International in Cleveland, whose e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your union needs your social media contributions
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2024
- Bills’ advancement in Michigan a step forward for worker assault prevention
- Transportation labor groups urge DOT and NHTSA to launch industry-wide investigation of driverless vehicles
- N.J. SLD Sabol honored for labor advocacy
- Rail labor collectively urges representatives to oppose House THUD bill
- Michigan bills protecting bus/transit and passenger workers advance
- Bus VP Studivant retires; James Sandoval is new VP
- Computer outage does not affect TD RTS events
- SMART-TD forms new committee to address assaults on bus and transit operators