The father of UTU State Legislative Director Dan O’Connell died Feb. 25 in Mt. Laurel, N.J., at age 89.
Michael L. “Mickey” O’Connell Jr. was a decorated World War II Navy veteran and a brakeman and conductor with Conrail and two of its predecessors — Pennsylvania Railroad and Penn Central — retiring in 1982.
The elder O’Connell was a member of UTU Local 1390, Trenton, N.J., and predecessor Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen. During his retirement years, he frequently attended UTU retiree meetings.
In addition to son Dan O’Connell, Mickey O’Connell is survived by his wife of 66 years, Rita, one daughter, a sister and grandson.
A funeral home visitation will be held Tuesday, March 1 (6-8 p.m.) and Wednesday, March 2 (9:30-10:30 a.m.) at Mt. Laurel Home for Funerals, 212 Ark Road, Mount Laurel, N.J. A funeral service will be held at 11 a.m., Wednesday, March 2, at Our Lady Queen of Peace Church, 1603 Marne Highway, Hainesport, N.J.
The family has requested that memorial gifts be made to Our Lady Queen of Peace Church, Box 188, Hainesport, NJ, 08036, or Samaritan Hospice, 5 Eves Drive, Suite 300, Marlton, NJ, 08053-3101.
- BE4ALL Canadian Labour Spotlight: Helen Jury Armstrong
- SMART-TD, RME members secure paid sick leave for rail workers at Union Pacific
- SMART-TD Leaders take to the UAW picket line at a Jeep plant in Toledo, OH.
- SMART statement on Inflation Reduction Act anniversary
- Minnesota SMART members win legislative victories across sheet metal and transportation
- SMART remembers and honors all who have made the ultimate sacrifice
- SMART Women’s Committee welcomes new members
- SMART-TD announces a price reduction for the Discipline Income Protection Program (DIPP) going into effect on August 1, 2023
- Retired General Chairperson Al Nowlin passes away
- SMART sisters reflect on Women in Construction Week 2023