Members of the SMART-TD Local 854 (Portsmouth, Va.) SMART Army mobilized in early May to help a neighbor in need. Sophia Alvarez, a young Virginian with autism, was unable to play outside at her home — there was no fence around her yard to keep her safe, Virginia State Legislative Director Ronnie Hobbes explained. That’s why Local 854 donated materials and labor to build a fence; “she can now enjoy a little time in the backyard,” Hobbes said.
Great work, Local 854!
- NEMIC appoints Lisa Davis as administrator
- General Committee 2 Convention demonstrates democracy, solidarity
- Department of Labor updates prevailing wage regulations in win for SMART members and building trades workers
- SMART-TD, RME members secure paid sick leave for rail workers at Union Pacific
- Ray Reasons appointed 11th General Vice President
- Jason Benson continues sheet metal career as SMART director of organizing
- Joseph J. Nigro Award winners recognized for SMART Army solidarity
- SMOHIT expands mental health helpline service
- SMART Leadership Conference draws dozens of guest speakers to demonstrate: “This is our time”
- This is our time