VICTORIA, Texas — UTU member and Valley Transit bus operator Guadalupe Ruiz escaped injury May 12 when his bus was sideswiped by a pickup truck near here. Ruiz is a member of UTU Local 1670, Laredo, Texas.
The Associated Press reports that one of the bus passengers was killed and 21 other riders injured in the accident.
The Associated Press reports that bus was sent crashing into a light pole after being sideswiped. The bus was traveling from Houston to McAllen, Texas, on U.S. 77.
Witnesses told the Associated Press that Ruiz didn’t have time to react when the pickup sideswiped the right side of the bus. The pickup truck driver, who was not injured, was issued a citation for failing to yield the right-of-way at an intersection. Other charges may be brought against the pickup truck driver said the Victoria County district attorney’s office.
- Online fundraiser established for Local 1503 member’s survivors
- SMART-TD Oklahoma crew battle has begun — time to weigh in!
- C3RS: SMART-TD and Norfolk Southern agree to anonymous safety reporting
- Virginia 2PC bill heading to governor
- Sam Nasca, N.Y. SLD, passes away
- From the Ballast: Cowboy boots and hazmat suits
- NS, SMART-TD, BLET and FRA sign landmark C3RS safety agreement
- Online fundraiser established for family of deceased Local 210 member
- FRA issues safety bulletin on securing rolling stock
- N.Y. special election — a chance to support Tom Suozzi, who supports our members