Federal law now requires the reporting of Social Security numbers (SSNs) for covered dependents to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).
Employees who have not yet provided dependent SSNs will have their dependents’ coverage terminated on July 31.
This includes participants of all medical plans, including the Railroad Employees National Health and Welfare Plan and the National Railway Carriers and United Transportation Union Health and Welfare Plans.
In addition, if a covered dependent is eligible for Medicare, then the Medicare Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN) is also required.
To comply with these reporting requirements, Railroad Enrollment Services has mailed a final notice to those members identified with missing dependent SSNs and/or HICNs.
If you have received a notice from Railroad Enrollment Services, provide the SSN and/or HICN for any dependent who is listed as missing this information — and sign, date and return the Social Security Reporting Form by the requested return date to the address provided.
If you do NOT receive a notice requesting missing dependent SSNs and/or HICNs, you need not take any action at this time.
- For any dependent who was newly added to the plan between Jan. 1, 2009 and May 31, 2010: If Railroad Enrollment Services does not receive the Social Security number for any newly added 2009/2010 dependent whose SSN is missing by July 31, 2010, the dependent(s) will be disenrolled from the plan effective July 31, 2010.
- For any dependent who was added to the plan before Jan. 1, 2009: If Railroad Enrollment Services does not receive the Social Security number for any dependent whose SSN is missing by Jan. 31, 2011, the dependent(s) will be disenrolled from the plan effective Jan. 31, 2011.
When Railroad Enrollment Services transmits the SSNs and/or HICNs to CMS, they will maintain all physical, electronic and procedural safeguards that comply with federal standards to guard your personal information.
For additional information regarding the new CMS federal law pertaining to this requirement, visit:
If you have questions or need another copy of the notification sent you, call Railroad Enrollment Services at (800) 753-2692.
- SMART Transportation Division announces members of Bus and Transit Assault Prevention and Safety committee
- FTA announces random drug and alcohol testing rates for 2024
- Your union needs your social media contributions
- TD members overwhelmingly vote to authorize strike action against SEPTA
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2024
- Recognizing our women railroaders
- Bills’ advancement in Michigan a step forward for worker assault prevention
- Transportation labor groups urge DOT and NHTSA to launch industry-wide investigation of driverless vehicles
- House Republicans push back vote on Amtrak cuts
- No increase to 2024 H&W contributions for rail members in national plans