This Labor Day, we recognize the incredible achievements of North America’s working people and celebrate the men and women whose hard work make our nations prosper.
We recognize there are many who are frustrated because despite all the vital contributions we make, too many of us struggle to support our families. Working families in both the U.S. and Canada have sacrificed tremendously and are more productive than ever, yet many of our friends and neighbors are not seeing the rewards for their work.
At SMART, we are making inroads towards addressing these problems and other challenges members and those working in our industries face each and every day. We are fighting back and organizing the unorganized. We are doing this in places like Bushnell, Florida where we gained over one hundred new members last month during the course of a large scale organizing campaign. We are seeing the fruits of our labor by finding new sources and avenues for work in the deep south, like the new work opportunities throughout the Southwest and Southeast U.S. that will be secured by whoever can be first to fill the work. Your union is working aggressively to ensure those positions are filled by SMART members in order to strengthen a lasting industry relationship to ensure continuous work for all of us in the future.
In the Transportation Division, we are looking forward to a stronger, more united future. We are sharing resources and ideas, like those seen at recent workshops for local Union Leadership at the SMART TD leadership conferences. The more we share and learn from each other, the faster and more efficiently we can grow together to secure the promise of a better future.
And lastly, we are looking to kick off a new union label campaign for those of you working in the Sheet Metal Industry. Those of you who come across the SMART union label at work will be receiving important information in the mail about the campaign in the coming weeks. You will be using new technology, through your mobile phone, to help you perform these functions.
This Labor Day, let’s celebrate working families, speak out for the aggressive change we need to promote a better future, stand together in solidarity and work to ensure our union grows and prospers together, for the benefit of all our members.
Joseph J. Sellers, Jr.
SMART General President
Richard L. McClees
SMART General Secretary-Treasurer
- C3RS: SMART-TD and Norfolk Southern agree to anonymous safety reporting
- NS, SMART-TD, BLET and FRA sign landmark C3RS safety agreement
- N.Y. special election — a chance to support Tom Suozzi, who supports our members
- NS becomes first Class I carrier to sign onto C3RS reporting system
- Remembering MLK
- Biden administration joins union’s fight to protect bus and transit workforce
- President Biden announces $6B to realize high-speed rail connecting Las Vegas and Southern California
- SMART Transportation Division announces members of Bus and Transit Assault Prevention and Safety committee
- SEPTA bus members ratify new contract
- TD members overwhelmingly vote to authorize strike action against SEPTA