The union labels are an essential tool for enforcing contracts and protecting jobs, wages, and benefits. Union officials work hard to negotiate the best contracts possible, and the labels are essential to protecting those contracts, union jobs, and wages. They play a central part in preventing a race to the bottom in which contractors try to use non-labeled products or pay union workers less and less.
By using the labels, we protect existing union jobs, secure more work, and protect union wages. And when more sheet metal workers participate in the union’s health care plan and pension fund, those benefits are better for everyone. In other words, all union members are better off if we work together to make the label system work. By standing up and supporting each other, we stand up and support ourselves. Solidarity works.
For individual sheet metal workers, it means more work, better pay, and healthier benefits. The job you save may be your own. And the more union members participating in the health care and pension systems, the better those benefits will be for each union member.
Visit the Label It. Scan It. Report It site for more information.
You can also text SMART to 90975 to download a copy of the SMART Union Label app.
- California High-Speed Rail Authority pledges to use unionized labor
- BE4ALL Canadian Labour Spotlight: Helen Jury Armstrong
- Veterans Day and Remembrance Day: GP Coleman’s video message
- Transportation labor groups urge DOT and NHTSA to launch industry-wide investigation of driverless vehicles
- SMART statement on proposed cuts to Amtrak funding
- SMART endorses Rep. David Trone for U.S. Senate
- Rail labor collectively urges representatives to oppose House THUD bill
- Attacks on U.S. child labor laws increase as violations skyrocket
- SMART statement on the confirmation of Jessica Looman
- SMART-TD, RME members secure paid sick leave for rail workers at Union Pacific