Rail and bus members have until Sept. 28 to start coverage
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio (Aug. 15, 2023) — SMART-TD announces an additional opportunity for actively working bus and rail members to enroll in the new Voluntary Long-Term Disability (VLTD) and Voluntary Group Life (VLIFE) insurance plans.
This will be the last opportunity this year for members to get protected. The last date for enrollment is Sept. 28 for an Oct. 1, 2023, effective date. Coverage highlights are detailed below:
- Protects members’ income if they cannot work due to injury, illness or surgery.
- Tax-free benefits with no medical exams/questions required to enroll.
- Up to $5,000 of monthly benefits for up to five years.
- Benefits start paying after the SMART VSTD stops — 238 days for rail members and 365 days for bus members.
- Members can elect up to $250,000 with no medical exams/questions required.
- Benefits double in the event of an accidental death.
- Enrollees receive 24/7 on- and off-the-job protection.
- SEPTA bus members ratify new contract
- FTA announces random drug and alcohol testing rates for 2024
- Your union needs your social media contributions
- TD members overwhelmingly vote to authorize strike action against SEPTA
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2024
- California High-Speed Rail Authority pledges to use unionized labor
- Recognizing our women railroaders
- Rail labor organizations urge Biden to renominate Bragg to RRB
- Bills’ advancement in Michigan a step forward for worker assault prevention
- Transportation labor groups urge DOT and NHTSA to launch industry-wide investigation of driverless vehicles