Local 45, based out of central Iowa, reached the 100-year milestone as a charter under SMART on November 14, 2022. For nearly a year, active and retired members of the local worked with Union Histories to share stories, memories and pictures from the past century. Current and former business managers, representatives, presidents and JATC instructors all had a hand in creating this monumental piece of history. Union Histories, with help from 34 contractors and vendors, put together an amazing keepsake for Local 45 in the form of a commemorative book and slideshow.
These items were showcased at the local’s annual Christmas party on December 3, 2022. As in years past, everyone pitched in to bring food and drinks for over 180 people, including 50 children who had the chance to talk with Santa and give him their Christmas wish list. Music and laughter filled the air while guests enjoyed each other’s conversations and good times in the festive space.
“We were blessed with generous gifts from 14 different friends of the local, which were given away as door prizes along with grand prizes for several lucky winners,” said Local 45 Business Representative Jon Quijano. “We would like to give a special thank you to all who were involved in marking these special occasions as we look forward to the next 100 years!”
- Special Focus: SMART sisters bring the noise to Washington, DC
- Seizing the moment for our families
- Building a labor movement that secures our future
- The stage is set for important advancements in 2024
- Forging the future
- SMART-TD members ratify BNSF tentative agreement
- SMART RME wins major victory for furloughed members
- A year of progress: Looking back on BE4ALL’s 2023
- SMART-TD helps win two-person crew in N.Y.
- High-speed rail projects will create jobs for SMART members