WASHINGTON — Rep. Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.), a long-time friend of the UTU, will be the ranking Democrat on the House Transportation & Infrastructure Committee when the new Congress is seated in 2011.
With the defeat Nov. 2 of Rep. Jim Oberstar (D-Minn.), who had been chairman of the committee and would have become the ranking Democrat when Republicans take control, Rahall will be exercising his seniority to become the lead Democrat on the T&I committee.
The move was confirmed Nov. 9 by the publication, POLITICO, which cited, as its source, a spokesperson for Rahall.
Most air, bus and rail transportation legislation before the House of Representatives is first considered by the T&I Committee.
The Republican expected to chair the T&I Committee is Rep. John Mica (R-Fla.).
Rep. Bill Shuster (R-Pa.) is expected to chair the committee
- President Biden announces $6B to realize high-speed rail connecting Las Vegas and Southern California
- SMART Transportation Division announces members of Bus and Transit Assault Prevention and Safety committee
- SEPTA bus members ratify new contract
- FTA announces random drug and alcohol testing rates for 2024
- Your union needs your social media contributions
- TD members overwhelmingly vote to authorize strike action against SEPTA
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2024
- California High-Speed Rail Authority pledges to use unionized labor
- Recognizing our women railroaders
- Rail labor organizations urge Biden to renominate Bragg to RRB