We are pleased, as your General President and Transportation Division President, to present the first SMART Constitution and Ritual to our membership.
This is a milestone for both the former Sheet Metal Workers’ International Association and the United Transportation Union that have merged to become the International Association of Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation Workers. While our merger has been complete for some time, this document solidifies this great union and its members under a single Constitution.
It is impossible to speak to the success in completing this Constitution without acknowledging both the hard work and the frustration of those who participated in the creation of the document and the membership who have waited patiently throughout this long and difficult process. The path has led both of us to take positions on interpretation of our separate constitutions and the merger agreement. In getting there, as would be expected of your leadership, we examined and debated every constitutional section thoroughly before agreement. At times, it required the help of an outside arbitrator to clarify a particular issue. While this slowed the process, it must be remembered the parties were tasked with blending 100 years of separate cultural and operational methods into a single Constitution that would govern our organization.
Throughout this process both of us have recognized that in the end what matters is the importance of having a document that serves the best interests of all the membership of SMART.
So, we are jointly resolved to move forward as an organization under one Constitution and Ritual and a single focus. We, as your leadership, are dedicated to working collectively to provide a transparent and accountable organization that will strive to provide fair and reasoned representation to our membership and the efficiency of operation necessary to expand work opportunities for our members.
Fraternally and in solidarity,
Joseph J. Nigro, General President
John Previsich, President Transportation Division
Cover Page and Index
Text of SMART Constitution
Information for Delegates Attending the 2014 SMART Convention (This corrects and replaces the original posting from 1/14/2014)
- Tom Wiant moves from International rep. to assistant to the general president
- SMART TD, TTD Set For Victory Over Carriers On Train Length Data Collection
- BE4ALL Canadian Labour Spotlight: Helen Jury Armstrong
- SMART-TD, RME members secure paid sick leave for rail workers at Union Pacific
- SMART-TD Leaders take to the UAW picket line at a Jeep plant in Toledo, OH.
- SMART statement on Inflation Reduction Act anniversary
- Minnesota SMART members win legislative victories across sheet metal and transportation
- SMART remembers and honors all who have made the ultimate sacrifice
- SMART Women’s Committee welcomes new members
- SMART-TD announces a price reduction for the Discipline Income Protection Program (DIPP) going into effect on August 1, 2023