Each year on Memorial Day – today in the United States and on July 1 in Canada – every member of our union comes together to remember and honor all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice to defend the principles of freedom and democracy. SMART is founded on the fundamental ideas of solidarity, camaraderie and working together for justice and democracy in the workplace, and our gratitude for those who do the same in our military knows no limit.
Many of our union brothers and sisters are themselves military servicemembers or veterans; countless others have family or friends who served or are serving our two nations, and every single one of us has been impacted beyond measure by these heroes’ courage and selflessness. That’s why our union is proud to do what we can do give back to veterans and active-duty servicemembers. One example: The SMART Heroes program, which provides accelerated sheet metal apprenticeship training to transitioning military servicemembers and new veterans, recently graduated its 500th participant. Hear more from two SMART Heroes participants.
Today and every day, we pay tribute to our military veterans and active-duty servicemembers, and we thank them and their families for their service and sacrifice. As you enjoy the holiday weekend with family and friends, please remember and honor all our veterans and servicemembers.
- BE4ALL Canadian Labour Spotlight: Helen Jury Armstrong
- SMART-TD, RME members secure paid sick leave for rail workers at Union Pacific
- SMART-TD Leaders take to the UAW picket line at a Jeep plant in Toledo, OH.
- SMART statement on Inflation Reduction Act anniversary
- Minnesota SMART members win legislative victories across sheet metal and transportation
- SMART Women’s Committee welcomes new members
- SMART-TD announces a price reduction for the Discipline Income Protection Program (DIPP) going into effect on August 1, 2023
- Retired General Chairperson Al Nowlin passes away
- SMART sisters reflect on Women in Construction Week 2023
- Utah rail safety bill awaits signature of governor