BOTKINS, Ohio – CSX conductor Dennis A. Hemme, 59, became the ninth UTU member to die in an on-the-job accident in 2011 when he reportedly was crushed to death here Sept. 8 during a mainline shove of a stalled train. Botkins is some 110 miles north of Cincinnati.
Hemme, with some six years of service, was a member of UTU Local 14 (Cincinnati) and is survived by his wife and three children.
Visitation will be Thursday, Sept. 15, 2 p.m. to 8 p.m., at Staley-Crowe Funeral Home, 7140 Plainfield Rd., Deer Park, Ohio 45236. Funeral Mass will be Friday morning, Sept. 16, at 10 a.m. at St. Michaels, 11144 Spinner Ave., Sharonville, Ohio 45241.
Just since July 25, six UTU members have been killed in on-the-job accidents.
For more information on UTU members killed on-the-job in 2011, click on the following link:
- Your union needs your social media contributions
- TD members overwhelmingly vote to authorize strike action against SEPTA
- ERMA lifetime maximum benefit to increase in 2024
- California High-Speed Rail Authority pledges to use unionized labor
- Recognizing our women railroaders
- Rail labor organizations urge Biden to renominate Bragg to RRB
- Bills’ advancement in Michigan a step forward for worker assault prevention
- Transportation labor groups urge DOT and NHTSA to launch industry-wide investigation of driverless vehicles
- Members: Please submit safety, tech and hours of service reports through website links
- SMART-TD BNSF members ratify tentative agreement addressing quality-of-life issues