Thirty-one of the scholarship recipients, as well as Local 219 Recording Secretary Mike Sneed, President Todd Whitlock and Business Manager/Financial Secretary-Treasurer Joseph Cook (right to left, to the left of the podium).
On Tuesday, July 26, SM Local 219 (Rockford, Ill.) awarded $1,500 academic scholarships to 38 local students — amounting to a total of $57,000.
“It means a lot to me, it means a lot that they were able to give out that amount of money, and I know it’s helping a lot of people — including me,” local student Brennen Cook told Rockford NBC affiliate WREX 13.
- NEMIC appoints Lisa Davis as administrator
- General Committee 2 Convention demonstrates democracy, solidarity
- Department of Labor updates prevailing wage regulations in win for SMART members and building trades workers
- SMART-TD, RME members secure paid sick leave for rail workers at Union Pacific
- Ray Reasons appointed 11th General Vice President
- Jason Benson continues sheet metal career as SMART director of organizing
- Joseph J. Nigro Award winners recognized for SMART Army solidarity
- SMOHIT expands mental health helpline service
- SMART Leadership Conference draws dozens of guest speakers to demonstrate: “This is our time”
- This is our time