By International President Mike Futhey –
There is an old political saying: “If you stop lying about me, I’ll stop telling the truth about you.”
When it comes to Mitt Romney, we don’t have to tell the truth about him. He already is telling the truth about himself. Here is what he promises to achieve:
* Outlaw labor union political action committees (PACs), which allow union members to contribute toward the election campaigns of labor-friendly lawmakers; but leave in place the ability of employers to spend unlimited amounts of money supporting anti-union candidates.
* End Medicare as we know it, forcing future retirees to purchase health care insurance on their own.
* Phase out Social Security and Railroad Retirement, requiring workers – regardless of their financial skills — to create their own retirement plans by investing in the stock market, where even the savviest of investors can be wiped out.
* Eliminate tax deductions for companies providing employees with health care insurance, which could encourage employers to drop those plans and force workers to purchase their own health care insurance.
* Eliminate collective bargaining rights for public employees.
* Repeal the Federal Employers’ Liability Act (FELA).
* Eliminate whistleblower protection for those denied proper medical care for on-the-job injuries, and for those harassed, intimidated and fired for reporting workplace safety concerns.
* End all federal funding for Amtrak and future high-speed rail, which likely would shut down most intercity rail passenger service.
* Slash federal spending on public bus and rail transit.
* Repeal the Affordable Care Act, which allows children to remain on health care policies until age 26, prohibits insurers from limiting maximum patient care payments to those with serious chronic illnesses, prohibits denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions, prohibits copays for certain preventive care procedures, and requires insurance carriers to spend at least 80 percent of premiums on patient care.
* Continue and expand tax cuts for the wealthy while scaling back unemployment benefits.
* Expand to all states right-to-work (for less) legislation, allowing workers to opt out of paying union dues used to negotiate better wages, benefits and working conditions.
Romney’s chosen running mate, Paul Ryan, has been pushing for those same objectives as a member of Congress.
If elected president, Romney would appoint his anti-labor supporters to the National Mediation Board, the National Labor Relations Board, the Federal Railroad Administration, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, the Federal Aviation Administration, the National Transportation Safety Board and the Surface Transportation Board.
With Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan in office, the road to a good contract would face a treacherous negotiating environment.
If you cast your vote for Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, be assured all of their above objectives would be assured because that is what they promise – to throw working families under the bus by weakening and destroying labor unions.
- Sam Nasca, N.Y. SLD, passes away
- From the Ballast: Cowboy boots and hazmat suits
- NS, SMART-TD, BLET and FRA sign landmark C3RS safety agreement
- Online fundraiser established for family of deceased Local 210 member
- FRA issues safety bulletin on securing rolling stock
- N.Y. special election — a chance to support Tom Suozzi, who supports our members
- Two-person crew effort advances in Virginia
- Room deadline extended for TD RTS in New Mexico!
- NS becomes first Class I carrier to sign onto C3RS reporting system
- Two-person crew progress in Nebraska and New Mexico